Kevin Wilhem like many kids from the 1980’s rode his bicycle without a helmet and benefited from a childhood with lots of outdoor play/time. Building on his interests, he developed a very successful career at the intersection of sustainability and business.
In Episode 7 of Season 4 learn how Kevin grew to become one of the world’s pre-eminent business consultants and teachers in the field of sustainability. He is the CEO of Sustainable Business Consulting, a consulting firm focused on demonstrating the bottom-line business benefits of sustainability and then leading companies through successful implementation. Kevin shares real-world tips of how to break through and succeed in the world of sustainability. From who gets the job to what employers want, this is a must-hear show.
Episode 7 of Season 4 is brought to you by The Rotary Peace Fellowship and the Graduate Program in Conflict Resolution and Coexistence at the Heller School for Social Policy at Brandeis University.
In this episode we discuss:
- Growing up outdoors in the 1970s with no helmets (or seatbelts)
- The college backpack trip that started Kevin’s passion for the environment and all things green
- How a kayaking trip prompted Kevin to develop a sense for business as it intersects with green environmental practices
- Academic credentials versus on-the-job skills
- Key skills for a career in sustainability
- As a sustainability consultant how does Kevin’s day look like?
- Kevin’s strategy to narrow your job search for a sustainability job
- On dealing with rejection and moving forward
- Who gets jobs, according to Kevin
- Understanding Corporate Sustainability through the story of Seattle’s professional soccer team becoming carbon neutral
- Corporate Sustainability or Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR)
- If you are NOT making money on your sustainability efforts you are doing it wrong
- 6 steps for a company to start its path on sustainability
- Top 3 things to develop a career of impact and sustainability
Books by Kevin:
PCDN services: PCDN Career Coaching Services. We love to help you because of your commitment to change. Helping the world is a tough business. So let us help you so you continue your mission.
Are you ready for the future of work? Please Join PCDN 2019 Career Series to learn about the future of work and how to best prepare you.
Need career advice? Need it now? Join PCDN Career Helping Line. Go ask your questions, help answer others and participate in fruitful discussion to advance your social change career.
Almost 20k individuals and organizations already receive this amazing resource to keep them up to date and ready to put their passion into action.
Subscribe to our free Daily Newsletter
Are you an existing or emerging peace leader looking to take your career to the next level? You might be eligible to receive full funding to pursue a MA or professional certificate in peace & conflict studies. Learn more about Rotary Peace Fellowships at www.rotary.org/peace-fellowships
The MA in Conflict Resolution and Coexistence at Brandeis University, where you gain the practical, hands on skills you need to become a peacebuilding professional in the U.S. and abroad.