Some people don’t know who they want to be; some people stumble into social change and fall in love; some, Ilaina Rabbat are just social change agents since birth, or really really early. Ilaina Rabbat, is co-founder and executive director of the Amani Institute. Listen this episode and find out Ilaina’s early involvement in social change issues; her tenure with Ashoka in El Salvador and how she is managing help thousands of social innovators through Amani Institute. Episode 5 of the Season 2 of The Social Change Career Podcast is brought to you by The Rotary Peace Fellowship.
Listen to Ilaina here
Please also take a minute to subscribe, rate the podcast and share it with others.
In this episode we discuss:
- How she grew up having dinner conversations about democracy, human rights in exile
- Return to Argentina in the 1990s
- How Ilaina entered the social impact field via the social change in primary school
- How Ilaina found her own group at 15 years old: the UN Argentine Youth Organization
- How Ilaina’s skills were acquired in her volunteer more than during college
- Have a plan, changed it all the time, but be clear about your WHY
- Ilaina explains common threads across different personalities to set you for success in your career
- How in the social sector we tend to see things in topics and not in terms of tools
- Ilaina’s transition from big bureaucracies to social enterprises
- How working on Ashoka in El Salvador helped her define herself as an entrepreneur, creativity, testing new ideas and being a self starter
- Ilaina explains what Ashoka is how the non-profit introduced the term social entrepreneur
- Ilaina tells the story of how she co-found her own organization Amani Institute
- Ilaina explains how she co-developed the Amani’s three-pillar methodology to prepare social impact work
- Why Amani Institute is located in the Global South (Kenya, Sao Paulo and Bangalore)
- Ilaina’s take on why or why not go to Grad School and when
- What gets you hired in the social sector, according to Elaine
- What’s next for Elaina?
- Ilaina’s best career advice
- Ilaina’s take on failure
- Three things needed to pursue a career of impact according to Ilaine
Are you ready for the future of work? Please Join PCDN’s 2018 Career Series to learn about the future of work and how to best prepare you.
Need career advice? Need it now? Join PCDN Career Helping Line. Go ask your questions, help answer others and participate in fruitful discussion to advance your social change career.
Subscribe to our free Daily Newsletter
Almost 20k individuals and organizations already receive this amazing resource to keep them up to date and ready to put their passion into action.