Legislative Strategy Director
The Legislative Strategy Director will work closely with campaign leadership and coalition members and partners to develop and implement strategies to advance We Are Home’s legislative goals. A successful Legislative Strategy Director will coordinate and collaborate with the campaign’s allies and partners to execute strategies and work with members of Congress and other national leaders on immigration. This role will brief the Campaign Director on political and policy developments relevant to the campaign’s legislative goals. The Legislative Strategy Director will need to be comfortable working in a collaborative, fast-paced and innovative environment, including leading the legislative strategy table and working closely with the executive strategy director.
- Work closely with campaign leadership, Steering Committee, and campaign partners to develop and implement strategies to advance the campaign’s legislative goals, including lobbying Congress and the Administration.
- Work with coalition tables to assess gaps in organizational capacity, streamline resources, and support legislative engagement to achieve strategic goals.
- Lead weekly meetings on legislative strategy with campaign partners.
- Brief campaign leadership on political and policy developments relevant to the campaign’s legislative goals.
- Represent We Are Home with allied coalitions and tables; work with partner campaigns and organizations to amplify impact.
- Proactively build and maintain strategic relationships with Congressional offices and the Administration, identifying opportunities to promote We Are Home’s agenda.
- Work closely with the Executive Strategy Director and the Field, Communications, and Digital teams and tables to support overall campaign strategic planning.
- Build new partnerships and expand engagement to strengthen the political power of the immigrant justice movement.
- Perform other duties as needed for the campaign.
We seek candidates with the following qualifications, or the equivalent combination of education and work experience that would provide for the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Candidates should have at least 5-7 years of experience on issue campaigns.
- Demonstrated experience lobbying legislators on policy focused on equity, particularly in the immigration space or progressive ecosystem.
- Strong facilitation and active listening skills, ability to create an inclusive environment and build consensus on legislative strategy.
- Great interpersonal skills, and experience building strong relationships with local, state, and federal elected leaders.
- Knowledge of, and relationships within, local and national immigrant rights organizations and/or the progressive ecosystem.
- Background in immigration policy and advocacy.
- Ability to effectively and clearly communicate with different types of stakeholders, from high level elected officials to grassroots activists.
- Candidate is self-motivated, works independently and pays attention to detail.
- Comfortable in a high performing, fast-paced and quickly growing national campaign; demonstrated ability to achieve high performance goals, meet deadlines and adapt to changing circumstances.
- Highly resourceful team-player, with the ability to be extremely effective independently.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication.
- Strong commitment to social and racial justice.
- Willing to travel up to 30% of their time.
We especially encourage applications from people who bring some of these additional skills and/or experiences:
- Deep experience living or working in Latinx and immigrant communities.
- Spanish language fluency including written and verbal interpretation.
- Brings a deep knowledge of or experience in immigration issues.
- Experience with policy fights at the Executive and Congressional branches of government.
- This position reports to: Campaign Director
Travel Requirements: Some travel may be required – up to 30% (once safe in light of COVID-19 pandemic)
Position Location: Continental U.S with D.C. area preferred.
Salary & Benefits: Salary range is $100,000-$120,000. Our comprehensive benefits package includes employer-paid health, dental, and vision insurance, 3% employer match on 401k contributions, pre-tax transportation benefits, and paid holidays, vacation, sick, and volunteer time off.
Closing Date of Position: Position will remain open until filled. Please cite PCDN as the source of the posting in your application.
Join Us – Apply here