Chief Operating Officer at VisionSpring
Chief Operating Officer at VisionSpring
New York, New York
VisionSpring, a pioneering social enterprise, seeks an entrepreneurial, strategic, and experienced chief operating officer to drive and sustain the organization’s business growth and social impact.
Please cite PCDN as the source of the posting in your application.
Founded in 2001, VisionSpring creates market-based access to vision screening and radically affordable eyeglasses for people who live on less than $4 a day. Eyeglasses are a powerful, simple, scalable tool to improve lives and achieve social and economic development goals, yet worldwide, 2.7 billion people do not have the eyeglasses they need. VisionSpring’s hybrid business models pair philanthropic capital with earned revenue from end-consumers, corporations and governments to seed optical markets and accelerate the uptake of eyeglasses that help people earn, learn, stay safe, and care for their families.
Over the past four years, VisionSpring has tripled its eyeglasses sales, staff, and budget, established new vision access programs, and expanded operations from two countries to eight: Bangladesh, Ghana, Kenya, India, Nigeria, Uganda, Vietnam, and Zambia. Today, VisionSpring is on track to correct the vision of 10M people by 2021 and has ambitions to sell 3 million eyeglasses annually in the next three years.
About the Position
A new position, the COO will serve as a key partner and advisor to the CEO and the executive team. The COO will have global responsibility for organizational development, operational excellence, and performance at scale.
The COO will supervise and lead:
- Wholesale business expansion in emerging and frontier markets, including network, e-commerce, and country presence development;
- B2B marketing and communications, end-customer experience, and brand building functions;
- Technology platform and information management, analytics and business insights throughout VisionSpring’s operations;
- Supply chain efficiency and product quality;
- growth and performance of geographically dispersed teams within a matrixed organizational environment.
The COO will be based in VisionSpring’s New York office, and will travel regularly (~35% of time) within key markets.
Position Profile: Chief Operating Officer
The following profile outlines the COO’s primary roles and responsibilities, as well as the experience and characteristics that will distinguish highly qualified candidates.
Consummate Operational and Growth Strategist
- Partner with the CEO in evolving the organizational structure to meet the demands of a growing business and team; and effectively engage team members in organizational development;
- Partner with the CEO and executive team to develop the organization’s rolling three-year strategy, and lead organizational performance against annual budgets and plans;
- Lead and guide sales, marketing, human resources, training, information technology, and data systems;
- Lead field operations, including supply chain (procurement, inventory and logistics) and office administration functions (leases, contracts, insurance, and regulatory compliance).
- designing and building one or more businesses to achieve growth and scale;
contributing to strategic plans and assuming responsibility for their functional and tactical
- execution to achieve short and long term goals;
- overseeing the day-to-day operations of a $20M+ organization or program of similar size and complexity during periods of significant business growth and change;
- maintaining agility and minimizing hierarchy and bureaucracy during periods of significant business growth and change.
People & Culture Developer
- Strengthen human capital globally; grow a decentralized team (currently 300 people), leading HR staff based in Dhaka, New Delhi, and New York;
- Lead an equitable, inclusive, and rigorous program for recruitment, professional development, and advancement;
- Foster and promote an organizational culture characterized by collaboration, transparency, dignity and high standards for performance;
- Articulate and demonstrate a cogent philosophy of organizational culture, operations, and performance that actively engages principles and practices promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Building globally distributed teams;
- Leading, managing, and mentoring the professional growth and performance of globally distributed teams;
- Serving as a confidential and trusted thought partner to senior executives and managers;
- Contributing to organizational development, accountability, and transparency.
Systems Builder and Promoter
- Strengthen systems to increase sales, better serve customers, and enable teams to be efficient, collaborative, and data-driven;
- Strengthen processes, integrity, and assurances for VisionSpring’s global supply chain;
- Supervise, elevate, and advance the technology strategy and functionality across the organization.
- Managing and leveraging a combination of technology and logistics, sales, or marketing systems to drive growth and optimize performance;
- Developing and overseeing the effective implementation of organizational policies and procedures that promote efficient operations, a safe and productive workforce, ethical practice, and compliance within applicable legal and regulatory contexts;
- Identifying opportunities and creating processes and incentives that promote data-backed and customer-centric decision making, continuous improvement, and knowledge sharing within functional groups and among clients, customers, and other stakeholders.
Innovative, Inclusive, and Inspirational Leader
- Engage, elevate, and hold self and others accountable to high standards of integrity and performance, consistent with VisionSpring’s values and goals;
- Empower team members to know their clients and customers, and to make and execute on decisions accordingly;
- Promote identification and adoption of established best practices and experimental approaches.
- Serving as a COO or in another executive role with a broad scope of leadership and management responsibilities;
- Motivated by mission and business imperatives to achieve meaningful outcomes in both domains;
- Creating a safe environment for experimentation, risk-taking, learning, and mainstreaming innovation.
- Conversant with the principles, and experienced in the practices, of effective leadership in highly diverse, geographically distributed, and matrixed organizational environments;
- Evinces VisionSpring’s values:
- Help others to do well
- Advance social equity
- Constantly adapt, relentlessly improve
- Default to transparency, reveal hard truths
- Learn together.
In addition, applicants with experience living in low income communities, or working in one or more of VisionSpring’s sectors or geographies, are invited to indicate these characteristics in their application materials.
VisionSpring offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, and vision, a 401(k) with employer match, a pre-tax commuter plan, flexible spending accounts (health and dependent care), and generous vacation/personal time.
Please click here to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, pregnancy, medical condition, disability, or sexual orientation. As an equal opportunity employer that values the organizational benefits of a diverse staff, VisionSpring is committed to identifying and developing the skills and leadership of people with a variety of backgrounds and attributes.
VisionSpring has retained Schaffer&Combs, a certified B Corporation, to support this search. In order to apply, please submit a current résumé and thoughtful cover letter that explains your interest and outlines your relevant skills and experience.
Please refrain from contacting VisionSpring directly; all inquiries should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
In Episode 19 of Season 6, Ryan shares 9 tips
by Elisabeth Kvitashvili (bio below) Three years ago, a friend