Vacancy: Communications and Outreach Coordinator
This is featured post on PCDN
C&SN is a small organization that supports a large international community of nongovernmental organizations. Our efforts protect the rights of civil society to conduct its work. Our membership includes peacebuilding, humanitarian, human rights and civil liberties groups as well as the philanthropic sector. We act as a resource hub, coordinator among like-minded organizations, and leader on advocacy campaigns. We advocate for and offer legal resources to protect peace and human rights, aid civilians in areas of disaster and armed conflict, protect civil liberties and build democratic governance.
We are seeking an energetic and motivated communications professional to join our small team and lead our organizational communications. The position is based notionally in Washington, DC and will report to the Director as well as work with the Policy Counsel and Senior Advisor.
The Communications and Outreach Coordinator will lead internal communications in support of our membership network, ongoing calendar of meetings and working groups, and engagement with our advisory board. Externally, we aspire to build our visibility among policymakers, journalists and key stakeholders. This aspect of the role will entail building the organization’s messaging, content, branding, and media engagement. Occasional rapid-response efforts will be part of the responsibilities. Plans also include support for a strategic communications campaign among a group of organizations to combat politically motivated attacks from private actors.
A core part of C&SN’s work involves serving as a repository and technical resource to our community. Thus, the Communications and Outreach Coordinator will support this effort through managing the content we produce and compile for our website, newsletter, and social media channels.
- Create online and print materials such as abstracts, fact sheets and news summaries
- Produce C&SN’s bi-weekly newsletter
- Manage C&SN’s website with respect to content and organization
- Support the team with communications to working groups, Advisory Board members, and the overall membership
- Additional tasks as needed to support C&SN Director
C&SN is also seeking to enhance our profile as an organization and the issues we work to address. The Communications and Outreach Coordinator will have the responsibility – and take the initiative – to build our brand and reputation.
- Manage social media communications; effectively use these tools to educate and amplify C&SN’s priorities and messages
- Develop content and strategies for building C&SN’s audiences; develop an organizational tone and character via social media
- Establish and/or draw upon a network of journalists to pitch issues and/or stories
- Expand dissemination of C&SN materials and information to appropriate audiences
- Support C&SN’s participation in a coalition of organizations to implement a strategic campaign in response to legal attacks against NGOs working in Israel/Palestine
- Take initiative to design a broader communications strategy for C&SN
- Support and represent C&SN during meetings, events and webinars
Salary range is $54,000 – $60,000 DOE. Full benefits package, including health insurance, vacation and sick leave, retirement fund.
- At least 2-3 years of experience in a communications or membership outreach role.
- Experience using social media for issue or news related purposes; comfort with a range of software, such as Constant Contact, databases, website management tools.
- Proven organizational and problem- solving skills.
- Ability to excel in a small, team-based, participatory environment as well as work autonomously.
- Experience leading or working on advocacy efforts.
- Good sense of humor a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree minimum.
- Understanding of journalism field with respect to story placement/pitching.
- Commitment to and passion for protecting the work of civil society.
To apply- Please send resume, cover letter (citing PCDN as the source of the posting), a short writing sample or examples of similar communications work and three references to [email protected] We will consider applications on a rolling basis, but would like to receive them by February 5th.
Women, people of color, disabled and LGBTQ people are strongly encouraged to apply. Washington, DC location strongly preferred. We are fully remote during the COVID situation, with the future arrangement TBD.
Where philanthropy, impact investment, peace and equality meet we find Randy
Apply today! Receive Full Funding for a Master’s or Professional Certificate in Peace & Development Studies
This is a sponsored post on PCDN Rotary Peace
E5S8: Breaking the Cycle of Violence within the U.S. Prison System with Mariettte Fourmeaux Du Sartin
This episode was brought to you thanks to the Rotary Peace