Call for Chair of the Board
The United Network of Young Peacebuilders is a unique global network of 100+ youth peace organisations, promoting the participation of young people in peacebuilding around the world.
The network is coordinated by an International Secretariat (IS) with an annual budget of EUR 600.000, based in The Hague and is established as a foundation under Dutch Law. The IS is managed by a Management Team (MT) composed of two young leaders. The UNOY Peacebuilders Board currently consists of eight members supporting the IS with specific portfolios: HR, organisational finances, fundraising, communications, and advocacy. The Board meets every 1,5-2 months, and in total 6-7 times a year, generally in The Hague (currently online). All Board members commit to preparing and attending Board meetings, as well as occasional involvement in other activities, relevant to the expertise they bring in (on average up to five hour s per month). The Chair of the Board is the legal signatory to UNOY’s accounts and statutes and supports the Management Team in making strategic decisions for the organisation.
Over the last 3 years, the organisation’s budget and team size had tripled, and the coordination structures of the network have been regionalised. Recently our new strategic plan (2021-2025) was launched, and with it new ways of working such as sub-granting to our members, decentralised programming, and a reserve protection fund. These changes require evolving HR structures, financial and compliance policies, and pose questions of legal and financial accountability.
We are looking for a Chair to deliver on the network’s strategic ambitions and take UNOY to the next level in its decentralisation and organisational development. We are particularly interested in finding a Chair with a legal background, preferably in Dutch law, that can help us navigate these new questions and manage change with a risk mitigation approach.
The position is voluntary and there is no remuneration, except for reimbursement of expenses . The proposed term of service would begin as soon as possible a nd last two years.
Profile of UNOY Chair of the Board:
● Committed to the field of peacebuilding and to promote youth participation and rights in society;
● Understanding of and alignment with UNOY’s mission, vision and values ;
● Demonstrated relevant network that can be used to support UNOY Peacebuilders;
● Professional experience in organisational and team management, including during phases of change and growth and ability to challenge, support and advise the MT of UNOY;
● Board experience;
● Familiarity with human resources management and development;
● Expertise to fulfill an inclusion & diversity advisory role;
● Facilitation, mediation and great communication skills;
● Fluency in English and Dutch.
Desirable additional expertise:
● Legal background;
● Work experience in peacebuilding, human rights or development sector;
We especially encourage applications from candidates under the age of 35 . The positions are open only to persons residing in the Netherlands.
To apply please send your CV and a letter of motivation explaining the expertise you plan to bring to UNOY and approach to this position to [email protected]. We will review applications on a rolling basis until the end of April.