Head of Product
Please cite PCDN as the source of the posting in your application.
The Head of Product position is an entrepreneurial leader who will proactively look for opportunities to solve big (50-state and 10,000-city) problems, incubate new teams and products, own product strategy, and assist in fundraising to support these efforts. They will oversee USDR’s product portfolio and support the team (composed both of full-time staff and pro bono volunteers) in working directly with government partners to use technology to better deliver critical services to real people.
For people new to government, you might imagine that working with governments could feel too slow when compared to the private sector—in our case, tackling a crisis and leveraging our rapid response model has enabled us to move incredibly fast. In just one year, USDR has taken on over 250+ projects with 150+ government agencies and NGOs, and established specialized program teams focused on Elections, Health, and Unemployment Insurance.
We recognize that almost every problem we help solve is likely one that countless other cities, counties, and states are facing at the same time. While our product portfolio is still nascent, it consists of reusable services we’ve seen work in multiple jurisdictions, reference implementations, and MVPs that we hope to enhance and expand into full offerings. We believe that we can do more to not only understand what 50-state and 10,000-city problems are most pressing today but also are well-positioned (through deep technical expertise and strong relationships with government partners) to proactively develop products and services we believe can scale to solve them.
The ideal candidate is experienced with managing products across lifecycles, including incubating new ideas and helping grow initial pilots into mature, scaled systems. They should also have experience building, mentoring, and supporting multiple product teams at once, and be skilled at synthesizing feedback from a wide range of users and partners into concrete solutions. They do not need prior government experience, but should be passionate about serving the public, and recognize that in order to help governments and nonprofits deliver better services, they will need to take the time to deeply understand existing constraints and systems, and learn to work effectively within them.
In this role you will:
- Set and drive a compelling product strategy for our Projects Team, and key product initiatives across USDR
Communicate our shared vision effectively both internally and externally, across our community of volunteers and partner ecosystem
- Articulate impact and operational metrics, key milestones, and progress towards our vision and goals
- Support and mentor product managers and project leads who contribute to USDR projects and engagements, including volunteers on specific government partner projects, PM Technologists-in-Residences, and future staff. (We typically have dozens of volunteer project leads engaged at once, and have two PMs-in-Residence on staff at the moment.)
- Work closely with the executive team to develop and execute a philosophy and strategy for USDR’s overall approach to product development, including when and how to invest in new vertical programs, build new products, or partner with outside organizations.
We’re looking for someone with:
- 8+ years of experience in product management, working collaboratively with engineering, design, and user research teams
- 3+ years of management experience leading product teams.
- Strong work ethic, keen analytical and problem-solving skills, and the ability to manage complex projects and multi-task with excellent organization skills and a strict attention to detail.
- Awareness of privacy, security, and compliance practices, ideally with prior experience working in regulated industries. Experience in government is not required, but should have a strong interest in learning from and collaborating with government/NGO partners.
- Strong communication skills across a broad set of cross-functional stakeholders, including complex external partners (such as regulatory bodies, government entities, large enterprise customers).
- Experience in building diverse networks, partnerships, and long-term collaborative working relationships, and someone who is comfortable thinking outside the box and finding amicable solutions to reach end goals.
- Comfort with a fast-paced environment and changing requirements.
- Sound judgment, demonstrated ability in providing high integrity leadership, and capable of making smart decisions in the face of ambiguity and imperfect information.
- Strong interest or experience in supporting equitable, effective access to public services using modern technology, design, and research practices.
What you’ll get:
- A competitive salary, consistent with similar roles in other tech non-profits in the Bay Area where USDR is headquartered. The annual salary range for this role is $140,000-$175,000, depending on experience.
- Full health, dental and vision benefits.
- A budget for team-level learning and development
- A supportive community where everyone can thrive and find a balance between working hard to make a difference and taking care of themselves in a difficult time. This means that we are committed to a fully remote work environment along with flexible schedules and time off policies that work with your life.
- Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis and will continue until the position is filled. All applicants will hear back from us before the end of the process, and top applicants will be invited to meet with various members of our Executive Team and Team Leads.
- The USDR Executive Team recently hosted an information session that is now available to watch to learn more about USDR, this role, and others.
Equal Employment Opportunity
U.S. Digital Response is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation), disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We encourage and welcome all interested potential applicants, regardless of background or prior experience volunteering with U.S. Digital Response, to apply.
About U.S. Digital Response
U.S. Digital Response (USDR) is a nonprofit, nonpartisan effort that helps governments and organizations respond quickly and efficiently to support the critical needs of the public.
Leveraging a network of pro-bono technical expertise and modern, resilient technology, USDR addresses and uncovers solutions for common, systemic challenges that public servants are facing, leaving them better equipped to deliver services and support to millions of people nationwide.
We operate with humility and deep respect for our partners and believe that modern and resilient technology applied in the public interest can deliver people-centered services at the speed of need.
During our first year, USDR built a year’s worth of deep partnerships with over 180 government and nonprofit partners, strong expertise across more than 250 projects, real-world impact to 13 million people, and repeatable processes to solve some of the most pressing challenges of this pandemic year.
We are in a moment where money and resources are being pointed to areas where these assets can provide a ton of value to people across the country. For example, a recent survey of local governments showed that 50% of their existing COVID-19 relief funds went towards IT infrastructure illustrating how modernizing tech goes hand in hand with serving people. Additionally, the Cyber Security and Information Security Agency (CISA) and the General Services Administration will use $9B to launch new major IT and cybersecurity shared services.
We are looking for team members that will join the early conversations about what our organization can look like in our second year and help us define a strategy in this new world ripe for government digital transformation.