Global Impact Ventures Deputy Director
About One Acre Fund
Founded in 2006, One Acre Fund supplies 1 million smallholder farmers with the agricultural services they need to make their farms vastly more productive. We provide quality farm supplies on credit, delivered within walking distance of farmers homes, and agricultural trainings to improve harvests. We measure our success by our ability to make farmers more prosperous: On average, farmers harvest 50 percent more food after working with One Acre Fund.
One Acre Funds Impact Ventures Department aims to build ultra-scalable new channels and business models that can grow to serve more than half a million farmers in just a few years. We have a diverse portfolio of investments, from large government partnerships to short-term behaviour change campaigns, to rural retail shops, to tree seedling nurseries. What they share is a commitment to impact millions of farm families while maintaining operations that are cost-neutral or financially efficient, to reach as many people as possible.
We are looking for someone with a proven track record to help scale-up early-stage ventures and work in partnership with country and global teams to dream up new opportunities across One Acre Fund operations.
The role responsibilities will be adjusted to fit your experience and interests, but in general, will include the following:
- Develop strategies to rapidly scale investments in your portfolio to reach hundreds of thousands of clients.
- For each project in your portfolio, you will manage 1-2 on the ground leaders who oversee the daily operations. Each of these leaders will likely lead a growing team. For early-stage investments, teams will likely include 10-30 people. Within a few years, many programs could have 100+ staff.
- Work with program leads to maintain field execution through building systems/tools to track and assess essential field performance indicators and flexibly working with several departments to tackle unexpected operational challenges
- Build 5-year strategies that improve our ability to hit scale targets, achieve stronger impact per farmer, and maintains program cost controls
- Help recruit senior program leaders
- Dream big and operationalize new ideas, whether enhancing existing pilots or contributing to country/organizational strategy in identifying new opportunities to pursue.
- Work with country leadership teams to build a business case including strategic rationale, financial projections, and connecting the case to farmer needs identified in the field.
- Co-develop the trial design with country teams including what to trial, how to trial, and at what scale.
- Hire and manage a pilot team directly to trial new ideas or acting as a strategic advisor to country teams if they take on ownership of trialing
- Lead organization-wide communications that share pilot insights
- Develop a global pipeline of Impact Ventures opportunities
- Develop relationships and coordinate with all partners who are relevant to our work. Partners could include One Acre Fund Country Directors, executives at social enterprises, and officials in government ministries.
Career Growth and Development
We have a culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You will report into the Impact Ventures Growth Director and you will have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months, and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. Youll shape a growing organization and build a rewarding career.
- 5 to 7+ years of professional work experience with experience in leadership of teams and project management; entrepreneurial experience preferred (e.g. starting a new program or department).
- Experience leading a field-based team and implementing field tactics preferred
- An ability to gather and use different types of qualitative (e.g. farmer interviews) and quantitative (e.g. financial/impact modelling) information to guide major strategic and operational decisions
- Top-performing academic background
- An entrepreneurial mindset with a willingness to play different roles and the ability to add value quickly.
- Willingness to travel 35% of the time to rural areas – One Acre Fund operations are predominantly based in rural areas, close to our customers.
- Fluency in English required, knowledge of other languages spoken in One Acre Fund countries preferred
- Humility; a willingness to get your shoes muddy and work productively with people from all walks of life; ability to tackle any task, large or small, with enthusiasm
Preferred Start Date
Due to the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic, start dates can vary significantly by role. We are adapting rapidly to Covid-19 and most of our team is now working remotely. Given the changing environment, we will appreciate your flexibility in confirming a start date.
In line with experience
Health insurance, paid time off
Sponsor International Candidates
Yes; African nationals strongly encouraged to apply.
One Acre Fund never asks candidates to pay any money or pay for tests at any stage of the interview process. Official One Acre Fund emails will always arrive from an @oneacrefund.org address. Please report any suspicious communication here (email@example.com), but do not send applications or application materials to this email address.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
crossposted from the UN The World Youth Report: Youth Social
Crossposted from Conducive Space for Peace Jun 26, 2020 In