Job Opening: Director
Location: Washington, D.C.
Opening: Full-time position for immediate start
NuclearBan.US is a small non-profit (501c4) organization committed to the total elimination of nuclear weapons. and to the use of resources that have been devoted to nuclear weapons to address the climate crisis, income inequality, and other pressing social needs. As a partner of the International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons (ICAN), Nuclearban.US works to build support in the US for the Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons (TPNW). This includes advocacy work with the US Congress, state and local governments, as well as campaigns to put pressure on the nuclear weapons companies through divestment, boycotts, and public awareness campaigns. NuclearBan.US also has an associated 501c3 nonprofit for educational work (Treaty Alignment Campaign) and a 527 “political” organization (Vote to Survive) for work relating to elections.
As the sole member of the NuclearBan.US staff (at present), the Director is responsible for implementing the strategic vision for the organization as set by the Board of Directors. He or she is responsible for overall management and oversight of the organization, including finances, fundraising, staffing, communications, reporting, and the meeting of all legal requirements. The Director develops plans to accomplish the objectives of the organization, raises the funds to implement those plans, manages budgets to ensure spending does not exceed income, hires staff within those budgetary constraints, and oversees all program activities to ensure they meet organizational goals. The ideal candidate will be a skilled and passionate professional with a solid commitment to work for the total elimination of nuclear weapons and with experience in managing all aspects of a small nonprofit organization.
Responsibilities will include
· Develop a Strategic Plan for the organization for the next three years.
· Identify and establish an affordable office space in Washington, DC.
· Engage with major foundations in DC to support the work of NuclearBan.US
· Engage with other organizations in DC to take on the work of NuclearBan.US.
· Build and maintain an effective working relationship with the Board.
· Regularly report to the Board on all organizational activities and initiatives.
· Manage budgets and financial accounts.
· Ensure all legal requirements are met.
· Recruit and manage staff as funding allows.
· Recruit, train and support interns and volunteers.
Skills, Qualifications, and Experience
· Minimum 3 years’ experience in nonprofit management, including at least 1 year in a senior management position.
· Experience in advocacy and campaigning for issues of public policy, and especially on nuclear weapon issues
· Advanced academic degree in policy, international relations, law, peace and conflict resolution, or another relevant/related field.
· Demonstrated commitment to the elimination of nuclear weapons and an understanding of the issues and complexities involved.
· Excellent written and oral communication skills.
· Excellent social media skills.
· Strong organizational and problem-solving skills.
· Ability to work independently and to lead a team.
· Ability to effectively manage scarce resources.
Expected start date: As soon as possible.
Salary: Negotiable, commensurate with skills and experience.
HOW TO APPLY:
· Please send a detailed CV (citing PCDN as the source of the posting) and cover letter explaining why you want this position and how you meet the criteria to [email protected] CVs without a cover letter will not be considered.
· The closing date for applications is Monday, April 12, 2021.
· Interviews will be offered on a rolling basis. The position remains open until filled.
· Further questions about this position may be sent to the above email address.