Senior Vice President, Anti-Racism, Equity, and Inclusion
Please cite PCDN as the source of the posting in your application.
We’re looking for a Senior Vice President to join one of the best firms in the do-gooder business to lead our company-wide equity and anti-racism efforts.
When you come work with us, here’s what you’ll find:
- Work that is meaningful. We only work with clients who are changing the world. And, we say no to clients if we don’t believe in their cause or if we can’t help them.
- Colleagues you can count on. Kind, dedicated, passionate people who bring the smarts, get things done, and help you to do your best, too.
So that’s us. Now about the work:
- The Senior Vice President, Anti-Racism, Equity, and Inclusion position is part of our Shared Services Area — also composed of finance, operations, people, and business strategy. We ensure M+R is positioned to deliver outstanding services to clients such as Planned Parenthood, American Cancer Society, NRDC, and many more.
- M+R is committed to infusing the values of inclusion, equity, and anti-racism into our work and workplace — creating a culture and environment where staff are recognized and respected so we can do the best work for our clients every day. To us, equity means our staff work together to ensure that all staff have access to the opportunities they need to grow and advance, and acknowledging that barriers and advantages exist. It means we work to build a representative, vibrant team that reflects skills, perspectives, and experiences across gender, sexuality, age, race, and class. We not only actively engage clients committed to creating a just world that reflects this vision, we strive to bring the highest level of cultural competencies and skills to support their work.
- We recognize that to evolve our company culture and leadership, and to better service our clients, we need to invest time, resources, and expertise. The creation of this senior-level position is one piece of this commitment.
Here’s what you’ll be doing in this role:
- Serve as a key member of M+R’s leadership team and report directly to one of M+R’s Partners. Provide strategic planning, support, and expertise across M+R to prioritize existing goals, outcomes, and strategies that advance and support equity and anti-racism throughout the firm, both in internal systems and in client work.
- In the first 12 months, develop and run an inclusive, firmwide process to create an equity or anti-racist vision statement and action plan for the company. Leverage existing culture assessments, surveys, and anti-racism work to-date to inform this vision and plan.
- Collaborate with the People Area Team to ensure company systems — recruitment and hiring practices, learning and development programs, policies and procedures, staff retention efforts, etc. — embody anti-racist principles and further equity and inclusion goals.
- Manage and monitor the implementation of select initiatives such as staff affinity groups, equity education and learning, inclusive decision-making approaches, and more, leveraging M+R’s 11-person People department on implementation.
- Coach, consult, and partner across all levels of staff, with a particular focus on fostering a culture of inclusive leadership and anti-racist collaborative action at M+R.
- Develop organization-wide accountability metrics and measures around anti-racism, equity, and inclusion, and consult with individual departments on their own accountability measures. Lead People staff in monitoring them, including routine and ad-hoc analyses of relevant quantitative and qualitative data.
- Work with our marketing team, business development teams, and all client services colleagues to create systems, workshops, and/or other measures to ensure M+R’s external and client communications reflect our values and goals.
- Ensure M+R’s inclusion, equity, and anti-racist efforts are transparent to all staff by developing regular communication about these initiatives and progress toward the vision.
- Be a visible and vocal presence by actively contributing to our organizational culture and building inclusive spaces across M+R.
- Do your part to help us run smoothly — including carefully tracking all of your hours as well as pitching in with small office management responsibilities that are a standard part of the job for staff at every level.
Skills and experiences required for this role:
- 15+ years of demonstrated experience fostering diverse, inclusive, and equitable workplace cultures, including at least 5 years designing and leading the execution of measurable and scalable people-first programs or employee experience initiatives.
- A dedicated professional focus on anti-racism, racial justice, and racial equity.
- Demonstrated experience in organizational change management design and implementation.
- Ability to communicate persuasively in a way that articulates your ideas and conveys your expertise (whether on the phone, in-person, or in writing), with a particular emphasis on effectively communicating about concepts such as power and privilege, implicit bias, racism and anti-racism, belonging, and trauma.
- Experience successfully working with staff who are at different stages of their understanding of power, inclusion, and anti-racism.
- Ability to collect and leverage quantitative and qualitative data to develop insights and drive decision making.
- Demonstrated ability to run meetings that identify project goals and ensure successful outcomes.
- Experience supporting the professional development of more junior staff or interns, and directly supervising and coaching staff.
Skills and experiences we expect of all M+R employees:
- Acute attention to detail.
- Ability to prioritize your time to meet deadlines for multiple projects.
- Strong ability to write clearly, concisely, and logically.
- Proven track record to successfully pick up new skills on the job, including learning new technologies.
- Successful experience working in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Capability to tackle big projects by breaking them down into smaller pieces.
- Ability to see a problem and propose a solution.
- Drive to seek what can be improved and offer ways to fix any potential roadblocks.
- Understanding of how your words and actions affect others.
- Kindness and consideration for others.
- Experience bringing a lens of inclusivity to all of your interactions with colleagues.
- Passion for the role that your work plays in creating change in the world.
- Drive to work collaboratively — soliciting ideas, seeing each other’s perspectives, and always doing what you say you will do.
- Comfort admitting what you don’t know and recognizing that seeking and receiving feedback is part of the learning process.
Skills and experiences that are preferred, but not required:
- Experience working in an agency setting or consulting firm.
- Experience working in a unionized environment.
- Experience using CultureAmp.
Salary, benefits, and some perks:
This is an exempt position. Total compensation for this position is an estimated $173,000–$196,000/year: the salary range is $128,000–$141,000 (dependent on years of experience), and bonus eligibility averages $45,000–$55,000/year and is dependent on firm performance. We also offer a generous benefits package, plus some perks:
- Three week’s vacation as well as paid sick and personal days;
- Generous health, dental, and vision benefits;
- 401(k) plan with an employer match and quarterly employer profit-sharing contributions;
- Professional development stipend;
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical, dependent care, and transit;
- Regular brainstorms where we cook up our most creative ideas;
- All kinds of benefits depending on which office you’re in (once we’re back open!). Free lunch once a week. Snack breaks. Cold brew coffee on tap. Records and record players.
- While our physical offices are closed, we offer reimbursements for cell phones and internet, plus a small monthly working-from-home stipend to make your work-at-home life a bit more comfortable.
The fine print:
Due to COVID, our offices are closed through at least June 2021. Our primary concern is the care and health of our employees. We are closely monitoring the situation and have yet to determine when our offices will reopen. This position is not a permanent remote role and under normal circumstances, is located in any one of the following offices full-time:
1101 Connecticut Ave NW, Washington, DC
11 Park Place, New York, NY
262 Washington St, Boston, MA
1611 Telegraph Ave, Oakland, CA
1275 East 6th St, Los Angeles, CA
To apply, use the button on this page. No calls please.
M+R is an equal opportunity employer and all applicants will be considered. As a firm we are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn and work together to change the world. M+R is strengthened by our staff’s diversity, including race and ethnicity, social class, national origin, culture, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, language, and so much more. We strongly encourage folks from underrepresented backgrounds to apply.
We are communicators, marketers, fundraisers, and campaigners who unleash the power of people to do good. We work exclusively with nonprofits fighting for a just and sustainable world.