Fellow, Pan Africa Youth Leadership (PAYLP) – International Exchange Fellowship (Fall 2021)
FELLOW, PAN AFRICA YOUTH LEADERSHIP
Title: Fellow, Pan Africa Youth Leadership
Compensation: $15.20 per hour
Location: Washington, D.C. (temporarily remote)
Reports To: Fellowship Coordinators, Meridian Center for Global Leadership (MCGL)
Summary of Position
Meridian International Center seeks a Fellow to support the Meridian Center for Global Leadership team that administers the Pan Africa Youth Leadership Program (PAYLP). The PAYLP Fellow will play a pivotal role in developing effective virtual engagement strategies, supporting alumni outreach efforts, and designing creative communication initiatives. The Fellow will support logistical/administrative coordination and tasks of virtual exchanges; production of events on Zoom or other virtual platforms; engage program participants and alumni in synchronous and asynchronous learning environments; create and edit participant registration and materials; edit content in Learning Management System (LMS) platforms such as Canvas; create compelling, creative media to sustain engagement across PAYLP social channels; conduct some research on program design, implementation, technology platforms, vendors, and other elements, as needed; assist with post-program follow-up, monitoring & evaluation; and support data management/analytics/regulation and compliance. The Fellow may also support business development teams in proposal writing and contribute to Meridian-wide communications initiatives. The Meridian Center for Global Leadership (MCGL) administers professional and educational exchange programs that enhance Meridian’s vision of a more secure and prosperous world.
This position will be remote until further notice, but D.C., Maryland, or Virginia residency is required.
All candidates must possess:
- Ability to commit 20-29 hours per week to the Fellowship from September through December 2021
Working towards or recently graduated with a bachelors (or master’s) degree focused on International Relations, International Education, Nonprofit Management, Global Communications/Journalism, African Studies, French language or other related field; or any equivalent combination of training, education, and/or experience that demonstrates the ability to perform the essential functions of the position.
- Must possess a strong interest in cultural exchange, public diplomacy, international education, or international relations
- Intermediate proficiency in French language required (speaking/writing); advanced proficiency preferred (writing)
- Excellent cross-cultural competencies and experience working with diverse cultures and languages required; previous experience working with and/or studying the African continent preferred
Exemplary writing and communication skills, particularly with day-to-day internal and external communications
- Superb organizational skills and attention to detail
- Interest in working in a dynamic and fast-paced environment and ability to bring a flexible, open-minded, “no task is too small” mentality
- Strong interpersonal and problem-solving skills, especially in a professional setting; experience & enjoyment working with global audiences, particularly global youth, is encouraged
- Previous experience with a nonprofit or an organization working with international students and/or visitors is a plus
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel is mandatory; knowledge of cloud-based/shared file systems (SharePoint), CRMs (Salesforce), virtual engagement tools (Zoom, Canvas, etc.), and/or graphic design platforms (Canva, Adobe Creative, etc.) is a plus
- Willingness to complete additional tasks as assigned, potentially including opportunities to support business development teams in the proposal writing process and contribute to wider Meridian communications initiatives.
Employer’s Statement and Rights
This position posting does not list all the duties of the job. If an offer is made, you will be presented with a detailed job description. Applicants will be evaluated based upon their demonstrated ability to perform the tasks listed above, and their education and experience. The employer has the right to revise this posting at any time. Neither this posting nor the job description is a contract for employment.
Meridian firmly believes that a highly qualified, diverse workforce is critical to our success. Accordingly, Meridian is committed to hiring, promoting, and compensating employees based on their qualifications and demonstrated ability to perform job responsibilities.
As an equal opportunity employer, Meridian promotes equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, personal appearance, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, family responsibilities, marital, veteran or military status, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, matriculation, political affiliation, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law. Equal employment opportunity will be offered and maintained to all persons at every stage and condition of employment, including recruiting, hiring, training, upgrading, promotion, transfer, discipline, layoff, recall, and termination.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and writing sample (3 pages maximum, preference for a professional sample) here. No phone calls will be accepted in reference to this position.
Additional information about Meridian can be found here.