ESSAY CONTEST 2020 LEADERSHIP AND CRITICAL THINKING How to foster
Media and Arts for Peace (MAP) Communications Internship Opportunity
MAP is a talent agency representing top artists and media professionals from conflict zones and diaspora communities worldwide. We train and advise on how to strategically apply media and arts tools for transformational social change.
We are looking for a Communications Intern to join our team for the Winter/Spring period.
Title: Communications Intern
- Work directly with one of MAP’s founders regularly and see the inner workings of a for-profit social enterprise in the peacebuilding field and creative industry
- Attend MAP-led and partner-led events, exhibits, and performances as they occur during the internship
- Gain experience producing media and communications for a young company
- Experience a cross-cultural work environment
- Learn about a cutting-edge, creative approach to peacebuilding, cultural diplomacy, socioeconomic livelihoods support, and social change
- Get exposure to the field of social entrepreneurship
Typical assignments may include:
- Daily social media posts about MAP’s artists, their work, the MAP Online Gallery, sites, case studies and stories supporting the argument that media and arts are critical tools for peacebuilding, justice, human rights, and more
- Drafting and sending periodic MAP’s newsletter blasts to our growing network
- Updating and editing MAP’s website as needed
- Creating event invites, templates, and RSVP sheets for MAP and partner events
- Creating graphics or images for use on flyers
- Photography at events and public speaking engagements
- Data entry and organization of contact information and artists and their profiles
- Other assignments according to intern’s abilities and interests
- Be a junior or senior in pursuit of your undergraduate degree, or be working towards a master’s degree in media studies or communications, or a related field, or have professional training at an equivalent level
- Roll-up-your-sleeves kind of attitude and self-starting work ethic
- High degree of organization, timeliness, and creativity
- Willingness to learn, ability to hear feedback and improve quickly
- Curiosity about how media and arts tools can be used for peacebuilding purposes
- Experience maintaining social media accounts via Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and LinkedIn
- Experience supporting event planning and execution
- Experience in developing graphics using Canva or similar products
- Experience creating short videos or audios a plus
- Experience with Eventbrite, MailChimp, Canva, Weebly, Salesforce, and other outreach or marketing tools a plus
Time Commitment: Between 16-24 hours per week, with a preference for applicants who are consistently available for full 8-hour days on Thursdays and Fridays
Compensation: This internship is unpaid, with a $50/month stipend to offset commuting costs. MAP can sign off on academic credit, if needed, and you will be reimbursed for transportation to and from any meetings as they arise.
Duration: 3 months, starting in late January 2020 and ending in April or early May
Location: Option to work remotely within the Eastern Time Zone, or to utilize a hotdesk at a co-working space near Dupont Circle, Washington, DC. MAP is located in Washington, DC.
How to Apply: Fill out this Google Form by November 30, 2019 at 5:00pm Eastern Time. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Due to the volume of applications we receive, we cannot provide a confirmation of receipt. You will hear from us no later than December 15, 2019 if you are being considered for the role. Please cite PCDN as the source of the posting in your application.
Process: MAP staff will be in touch in late November with a small group of candidates for brief phone or in-person interviews.
For more information about MAP, check out our website and social media outlets:
MAP provides equal opportunities to all employees, interns, and applicants for employment for all positions and job classifications, and encourages applications from women, people of color, persons with disabilities, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender individuals.
Janet Murdock has 20 years of experience as an accomplished
At PCDN we were planning on launching a group career