Manager, Outreach and Community Relations, Rise
Rise, an initiative of Schmidt Futures and the Rhodes Trust, will build a lifelong community of students, teachers, and institutions across sectors who aim to serve others. The program, which will seek young people between the ages of 15 and 17 from around the world, will be designed to encourage a lifetime of service and learning by providing support that could include scholarships, career services, and funding opportunities to help these leaders serve others for decades to come.
The first annual competition for Rise in 2020 will begin to build a global community of students, teachers, and others—including a larger group of finalists worldwide and ultimately at least 100 extraordinary young people each year who show the potential to have a unique impact on their communities with more connection and support. Those young people who advance through the final stages of the competition will be invited to attend a residential fellowship before their final year of high school that will support them as they consider how to serve others, how to become leaders, and how to transition to higher education and careers. Other opportunities will include the potential to apply for scholarship funding for education, mentorship and other assistance tailored to their specific needs and interests, and a variety of career services as part of the Rise network.
To encourage service, Rise will invite its community members to make service commitments together and develop a platform to match network members with common interests. In addition, Rise plans to support non-profits or other social enterprises that Rise network members drive together to serve others. Finalists and others in the Rise network will have the opportunity to compete for as-needed funding to launch or scale their ventures; funds are intended to be designated for these purposes in a total pooled amount of at least $5 million per year of the program.
The Manager, Outreach and Community Relations will lead global communications and outreach on behalf of Rise. This person will be responsible for generating publicity, managing the Rise brand, leading all external communications, and building and developing new channels for outreach to youth everywhere in the world. This person will also create informative content, press releases, articles, and media opportunities to raise awareness for Rise and to increase the number of applicants.
Outreach and Community Relations Management
- Manage all internal and external communications for Rise
- Create informative and interesting press releases, press kits, newsletters, and related marketing materials
- Develop and implement effective communication strategies that build brand awareness and raise Rise’s global profile
- Interface with communications teams of partner organizations, including Schmidt Futures and the Rhodes Trust
- Prepare detailed media activity reports for the governance board
- Plan and manage the design, content, and production of all marketing materials
- Work with external partners to generate new communication ideas and strategies
- Supervise external marketing partners and communications consultants to achieve communications goals including the creation of videos, podcasts and other multi-media content
- Respond to communication-related issues in a timely manner
- Build a social media presence for Rise that highlights the opportunities and impact of the program, including but not limited to, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and regionally specific social media
- Manage day-to-day communication needs
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Some of the desired capabilities include:
- Demonstrated excellence in communications management
- Proven experience creating targeted content
- Strong knowledge of communication practices and techniques
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Experience leading communications for global brands, include media relations
- Solid track record of creating digital strategies and building large social media followings
- Understanding of how to communicate across global cultures
- Demonstrated teamwork ability and record of impact in high-intensity, team-based environments
- Values-based, collaborative working style with demonstrated commitment to the highest standards of ethics and confidentiality
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
Manager, Outreach and Community Relations will:
- Have at least 6+ years of work experience in communications and community relations
- Have a bachelor’s degree or equivalent from an accredited institution
- Be based in New York and be able to travel within the U.S. and internationally on a regular basis as needed.