Learning & Evaluation – Research Associate
Alliance for Peacebuilding
Research Associate, Learning & Evaluation
The Alliance for Peacebuilding (AfP) is a nonpartisan network of 110+ organizations working in 153 countries to end conflict, reduce violence, and build sustainable peace. Our members include some of the world’s largest development organizations, most innovative academic institutions, and most influential humanitarian and faith-based groups. We build coalitions in key areas of strategy and policy to elevate the entire peacebuilding field, tackling issues too large for any one organization to address alone.
AfP is seeking a highly-motivated, proactive professional who is interested in gaining and strengthening their direct peacebuilding learning and evaluation experience for an international peacebuilding organization. The Research Associate will work at the intersection of the international peacebuilding field in Washington, DC, providing research and operation assistance to the Senior Director of Learning & Evaluation. This is a great opportunity to learn about the peacebuilding field from the inside, with broad exposure to a wide variety of civil society organizations, government and military partners, and representatives from fields closely related to peacebuilding. The Research Associate will have the opportunity to connect with AfP’s network of partners both overseas and in Washington. S/he reports directly to the Senior Director of Learning & Evaluation, and will work on the following tasks:
Duties and Responsibilities
The Research Associate will have the following duties and responsibilities:
- Assist with ongoing research efforts that could include the Perspectives in Peacebuilding analysis and report, additional sub-sector reviews, inter-religious peacebuilding research, and others that may arise. The Research Associate is encouraged to assist with developing future research efforts.
- Assist with the curation of the Peacebuilding Key Outcome Indicator Database through contracting online development of the Excel database, continuing the research efforts to locate new and additional indicators, updating the database with new indicators, and assisting with envisioning next steps for the project.
- Support the development and implementation of internal M&E for AfP’s Policy & Advocacy, Learning & Evaluation, and Partnerships & PeaceCon portfolios; including evaluation, analysis, and annual reporting.
- Maintain the L&E pages on the AfP website, including creating new website material.
- Develop and implement cohesive, ambitious, communication and dissemination plans for key L&E research efforts to guarantee AfP research products are accessible, circulated, and tracked.
- Respond to general L&E requests from AfP members, such as joining meetings, sharing information, and partaking in speaking engagements.
- Support the Senior Director for Learning & Evaluation in consulting with the donor community, policymakers, implementing organizations, and the U.S. government, such as the State Department, USAID, and Department of Defense, on key research initiatives and findings.
- Other ad hoc tasks.
Required Skills and Experience
- Minimum a bachelor’s degree plus 1-2 years of research or data analysis experience
- Educational background in research, analysis, economics, M&E of peacebuilding and/or related fields
- Excellent communication skills, both in writing and verbal presentation
- Must be proficient with PC-based computers, with strong computer skills, including database entry and maintenance;
- Databases, website editing (Wordpress/Squarespace), graphic design (Adobe Suite/Canva); and data visualization is a strong plus;
- High proficiency in Word and Excel required
- Must possess effective interpersonal skills, with the ability to communicate effectively with diverse individuals at all levels, anticipating needs and keeping staff informed of problems and issues
- Must have the ability to take initiative and be resourceful in maintaining a professional work environment
- Must be able to handle confidential data (e.g. budget and salary information, contractual terms and conditions, etc.)
- Must be flexible, able to multi-task and work in a busy environment to meet deadlines
- Ability to work with large amounts of information and see the “bigger picture”.
- Comfortable with juggling facts, figures, and number crunching.
- Critical thinking: able to look at numbers, trends, and data and come to new conclusions based on the findings.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to present cogent and actionable recommendations to donors and policymakers based upon synthesis of large amounts of data.
- Commitment to AfP’s values and approach.
Desirable Skills and Experience
- Past experience in associations or membership organizations;
- International field-based experience;
- Master’s degree in a numerate field.
Please send a cover letter (please cite PCDN as the source of the posting), resume, an example of your recent research, and list of three references to email@example.com, ATTN: Research Associate. Each attachment should be labeled “Last name, First name – [Document type].” Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and the position will be filled as soon as a well-qualified person is identified.
Only applicants meeting required qualifications for the position will be considered. The Alliance for Peacebuilding is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes resumes from all qualified applicants, particularly women and minorities but must be eligible to work in the United States. The Alliance for Peacebuilding does not sponsor work visas. The Alliance for Peacebuilding does not discriminate based on gender, ethnicity, race, or persons with disabilities.
In Episode 19 of Season 6, Ryan shares 9 tips
by Elisabeth Kvitashvili (bio below) Three years ago, a friend