Program and Communications Intern
Girl Rising (GR) leverages the power of storytelling and catalytic media tools to shift attitudes and change behavior around gender stereotypes where opportunities are decided by potential and not gender. It inspires adolescents – especially girls to imagine and believe in their dreams and aspirations as well as empowers communities to break down intangible barriers that hold girls back. Having initially begun as a film, GR today has evolved into an organization which seeks to drive gender equality.
GR was launched in India with a national broadcast of its flagship film Woh Padhegi, Woh Udegi (She Learns, She Rises) in August 2015 on Star Television. Since then, GR has successfully implemented and worked on a number of interventions in the country to raise the value of girls’ education and highlight several barriers preventing girls from accessing opportunities equally.
Recognizing the influence of storytelling to encourage adolescents to break away from norms, GR in the past has developed and led community interventions, mass media and public awareness campaigns that stir conversations on creating a gender-equitable world. More specifically, GR has curated as well as implemented several school-based curricula and training modules across the country to build voice and agency and inculcate gender-responsive attitudes among adolescents – especially girls.
The intern will serve as a key member of GR India’s program team, supporting implementation of in-country projects.
Indicative responsibilities are detailed below:
- Assist the team in coordinating and implementing activities across various projects in India.
- Support and/or lead development of articles, newsletters, Op-Eds, blogposts and other educational materials on gender-based themes, as required.
- Under staff supervision, draft meeting notes, create agendas, presentation decks, action items, develop internal reports and briefs, and perform other tasks as assigned.
- Support website management and coordination to ensure content is updated regularly.
- Create social media collaterals such as posters/infographics for GR’s social media accounts using online graphic design platform in addition to drafting social media posts on a regular basis.
- Coordinate any other administrative duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant area or currently enrolled in a Master’s degree.
- Demonstrated interest in and understanding of women’s rights and gender equality space in India.
- Excellent organization and administrative skills with special attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to deliver assignments on time.
- Ability to multi-task effectively as well as work independently and as part of a team.
- Experience with Microsoft 365 Suite, Google Suite
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Fluency in English and Hindi
START DATE AND COMPENSATION
This is a full-time, 06 months position tentatively starting July 1st, 2021 with some flexibility for the right candidate. The internship will be remote, and the intern must have a stable internet connection and a personal computer that can be used for the duration of the internship. Monthly stipends offered commensurate with experience.
To apply; please share the following materials at [email protected] with the subject line: “Application for GR India internship 2021 – your full name”
- CV; Please cite PCDN as the source of the posting in your application.
- Cover letter; and
- One writing sample; 1-2 pages long.
The last date to apply is June 15th, 2021 but early application is encouraged as we will review applications throughout the advertising period, and the position may be filled before the deadline. As we are a small team, we unfortunately would only be able to contact short-listed candidates.