Managing Director, EDI Global
About EDI Global
EDI Global (UK) Limited designs, implements, manages and supports a wide range of socio-economic surveys through the provision of world class services, tools and innovations.
From our Tanzanian offices in Bukoba and Dar es Salaam, we conduct many surveys throughout East Africa, on behalf of National Governments, donors, research institutes and foundations. These normally cover large sample groups (2000+) and include, impact evaluations, panel surveys, health and biometric data collection amongst others.
Since our foundation in 2002, EDI Global has grown to be one of East Africa’s most respected research houses with a strong global reputation for high quality survey design and data collection services aimed at assessing international development programme impacts, measuring results and evaluating potential solutions to global poverty.
We have conducted or been involved in over 100 research projects in the following sectors: Agriculture and Livestock, Economic Development, Education, Health, Social Welfare, Water and Sanitation and across sectors.
Through our UK office we provide survey expertise to clients in Africa, Asia, Europe and the Americas to provide a range of professional, technical and consultancy services. In late 2018, EDI Global became part of Mathematica.
EDI Global Vision
EDI Global has a positive impact on people’s lives through the provision of innovative, world class data collection and research services and tools.
EDI Global Mission Statement
To provide our partners with the accurate, informed and timely evidence they need to address critical international development issues through the provision of high quality research and data collection offerings that combine our strengths in academic rigour, innovative design, commercial acumen and cutting-edge technology.
Our Culture and Values
EDI Global prides itself on its culture of inclusivity creating a caring, committed and empowered culture for our team to thrive in and we extend this culture to include our clients, partners and other stakeholders. Our approach to our work is built on our core values:
Quality in all that we do:
The impact of our work, directly or indirectly, is felt by people and communities for some time to come and so we ensure that rigorous quality assurance is embedded in everything we do and we expect likewise from our partners
Placing the highest value on our team:
We are a great place to work. We attract and retain talented staff who are passionate about international development data collection and research. We ensure a positive and professional work environment and expect the highest levels of integrity and commitment from our staff whilst not losing the element of fun that we encourage throughout EDI Global. We support and prioritise their growth and career progression. We are honest, fair and show respect in all that we do and we care for our staff, their families and the wider community in which they live.
We continue to grow through the expansion of our current operations, entry into new geographic markets and the provision of a broader range of services in order to meet the ever changing needs of the international development research market. We seek steady, sustainable growth from our strong foundation to ensure the stability of our business and provide clear benefits to our stakeholders, including long-term secure employment opportunities for our dedicated staff and a return on investment for our shareholders.
Partnership and collaboration:
We apply a collaborative approach to all our work and seek to share the benefits of our whole teams experience on all of our projects. We encourage knowledge sharing amongst our teams across the world to strengthen every aspect of our work. We seek to build long term partnerships with leaders in the research, data collection and international development fields in an open, accountable and honest collaborative environment that benefits all.
With the world constantly changing, we continually innovate and adapt to ensure that we maintain our place on the frontline of the international development research market. We recruit the highest calibre personnel and actively encourage new ideas that harness cutting-edge design, new technologies and innovative approaches to ensure we are able provide relevant, timely and value for money services that meet the needs of all our clients.
Ensuring local expertise:
We are special because of our local knowledge provided by dedicated in-country teams. The cornerstone of our work has always been ensuring that we bring to every project strong local knowledge and expertise in combination with internationally recognised best practice. We apply this to all projects either through our own in-country presence or through carefully selected long-term local partners.
We act with integrity, fairness and transparency in everything we do. We believe that our business should operate in a manner that is beyond reproach. We commit to operating appropriately and adhere to the local laws and customs of the countries in which we do business.
We strongly believe that no one should be discriminated against based upon their age, disability, gender identity, marital status, race, racial group, colour, ethnic or national origin, nationality, religion, belief or sexual orientation. We celebrate diversity within our team and strive to ensure that we are an organisation where all team members feel their values, beliefs and experiences are fully recognised.
The current MD of EDI Global is retiring in 2021. The new MD will have the opportunity to come in, set an expanded vision and shape and build the organisation from a leading data collection organization into a larger research and analytics firm, with the full backing and resources of the parent organisation, Mathematica. With a strong brand and reputation, the new MD will provide the strategic and decisive leadership required to position EDI Global as the premier organisation providing integrated data collection with accompanying research design and evaluation of programs to improve public well-being.
The ideal candidate will have 20 or more years’ experience in a global organization, including experience in Africa. A credible profile and connections in research will enable them to build an international research practice. Experience with and understanding of large donors, foundations or INGOs would be an advantage. A strategic thinker, recognized thought leader, and entrepreneurial dynamic leader, they need to be able to map out how to build the business and have a strong track record in business development. They will bring outstanding communications, networking and people management skills and excel at teambuilding and building staff capacity in cross-cultural settings.
EDI Global needs an MD who understands research and how to lead, shape and grow a business. The role might suit a dynamic mid-career professional in a large organisation with the talent, skills, energy and drive to take up a leadership role, or a seasoned leader with a strong track record looking for a last critical role to transform a mission-driven organisation and have a global impact.
We are seeking a passionate and visionary leader to be the Managing Director of EDI Global. The successful candidate will be a recognised thought leader with an entrepreneurial spirit and a strong track record of organisational leadership in the developing world, particularly on the African continent. The Managing Director will lead EDI Global as it transitions from a primarily data collection organisation focused in Tanzania, to a company with an integrated research and analytics group working in multiple countries. In collaboration with the leadership team at Mathematica, the Managing Director will develop and implement a strategic plan to cover EDI Global’s business growth over the next four years.
- Beyond the strategic plan, the Managing Director will be responsible for all aspects of the organisation. Your initial focus areas may include:
- Developing and building on EDI Global’s 2021-2024 strategy. You will partner with the EDI Global and Mathematica Leadership team to finalise a formal business plan that focuses on innovation and scalability; builds long-term capacity for independent policy evaluation; and integrates analytics-supported program improvement and implementation efforts.
- Building and leading the team in both the UK and Tanzania. You will help attract, develop, and retain an expanded team of employees who believe in and commit to EDI Global’s vision.
- Monitoring and reporting on progress. Ensuring that key stakeholders always have an accurate pulse on the state of project performance, business development, and company operations.
- Playing to your strengths. You won’t be able do it all, so you will need to identify which activities you are best at and for which ones you will harness the talents of others.
Longer term, the Managing Director has responsibility for:
- Engaging with the Mathematica leadership and EDI Board of Directors in shaping the strategic direction of EDI Global and ensuring the development of key associated documents including, but not limited to strategic plans, budgets and business development strategies, and annual reports and reviews.
- Leading the organisation to new levels of achievement and growth by identifying and engaging an even more robust and broader set of stakeholders and policies to expand both the work and impact in areas such as agriculture, education, health, energy, and climate change.
- Ensuring effective stewardship of EDI Global’s financial resources; addressing new sources of funding and support from new and existing clients by utilising a robust, highly strategic and proactive approach that connects business development efforts with the organisation’s vision and mission.
Business development and client engagement:
- Overseeing business development efforts, including direct outreach and guiding proposal efforts where appropriate.
- Engaging with clients to understand their needs and perspectives on our performance.
- Providing the strategic and decisive leadership required to position EDI Global as a premier organisation providing integrated data collection, research, and analytics capabilities to improve public well-being.
- Supporting the development and implementation of thought leadership priorities for advancing the field and raising EDI Global’s profile.
- Serving as the organisation’s primary spokesperson before audiences globally.
Staff Development and management:
- Continuing to inspire, support and develop the outstanding team of professionals in place today at EDI Global, while attracting new and agile talent to deliver on the vision and growth of the organisation.
- Promoting a sense of community and shared experience, engaging with staff, seeking staff input, and fostering high staff morale.
Leadership in EDI Global and Mathematica:
- Collaborating across EDI Global and Mathematica to promote inclusive, consistent approaches.
- Supporting individual and cross-company initiatives and facilitating dissemination of key information.
- 20+ years of career experience, including leadership positions within a global organisation with experience of staff supervision and providing strategic collaborative leadership to diverse teams in different cultures.
- A master’s or doctorate degree in social science or relevant discipline and work experience in at least one of EDI’s research areas: [Education, Health (Maternal, Child, Reproductive Health, Public Health), Agriculture (Sustainability, climate change), Energy] or a combination of equivalent education and work experience. A PhD would be an advantage.
- Successful leadership of business development and proposals and engaging with clients and partners in the business development process is essential, along with strong client management skills. Experience in a survey or research organisation is preferred.
- Experience working in and knowledge of the African continent is essential.
- A skilled and sophisticated networker and persuasive communicator, comfortable with linking people, making connections and building relationships in a multi-cultural environment.
- Demonstrative qualities as a modern leader: passionate, visionary, strategic, innovative, collaborative, empathetic, emotionally intelligent and inspiring.
- Track record of modeling and supporting core cultural values, commitment to diversity and inclusion, and client-centered approaches
- Commitment to:
- building a culture of high performance that supports feedback and accountability
- innovation, continuous quality improvement, and leading change
- Demonstrated strength in:
- communication skills: verbal, written, and listening
- leading projects, proposals, training, recruitment, and initiatives
- leading collaborative, team-based approaches that integrate diverse views
- handling multiple priorities, sometimes simultaneously, under deadline pressure
- managing complex, multi-faceted projects resulting in measurable successes and programme growth
- managing through complex systems and proven experience negotiating win-win agreements
- building staff capacity in cross-cultural settings as well as excellent team-building and interpersonal
- skills, mentoring and supporting the development of others
- Willing to travel to the USA, East and West Africa and other locations as needed. (Travel will be a key part of this role, ranging from 25-50%).
Before applying, please check that you can answer yes to all the following questions:
- Have you worked in leadership roles in a global organisation and have a successful track record in business development/winning proposals?
- Do you have some work experience in and knowledge of Africa?
- Do you have a PhD or Master’s degree and some research experience?
If you cannot answer yes to these questions, please do not apply, as we will be unable to progress your application.
If you can answer yes to all the above questions, then please click here to apply.
You will need to complete a short application form using the link on the Oxford HR website and submit an up-to-date curriculum vitae (of no more than 2-3 pages) in MS Word, and a cover letter.
Please prepare your CV and cover letter (please cite PCDN as the source of the posting in your application) before applying as they will be requested at the end of the application form.
The cover letter should be no more than 2 pages long – bullet points are acceptable. It should explain:
- why you are interested in this role.
- why you are interested in EDI Global
- how your skills and experience make you a good fit for the role.
- For guidance on preparing a statement, please see here.