Senior Business Development Manager
Please cite PCDN as the source of the posting in your application.
Dimagi grew from the belief that there’s a better way to provide services to those in need. Our mission is to create digital products and services that support global development efforts and help accelerate the end of poverty. CommCare, our mobile data collection platform, is designed to improve data collection and the quality of frontline services in low-resource settings around the world. We work across various sectors with organizations of all sizes, providing mobile solutions that put end-users first. Working with partners that include the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, USAID, CARE International, and the World Bank, Dimagi has successfully implemented CommCare and supported 2,000 projects across 80 countries. Dimagi is a certified Benefit Corporation and leading social enterprise, working since 2002 towards our commitment to making an impact.
Who You Are
At Dimagi, we care about impact, team, and profit (in that order). Do you have a history of reaching targets, establishing win-win partnerships, and a desire to make a social impact? Interested in the technology-for-good space? Then consider joining us at Dimagi in this key exciting role.
This highly-motivated and dynamic member of our Competitive Consortium team will be a specialist in prospecting, cultivating, selling, and closing consortium partnership bids that lay the foundation and direction of our large, multi-year national scale programs.
We are looking for someone with a strong background in business development in the aid sector both domestically and internationally. The successful candidate will have a seasoned ability to close large US-government funded opportunities, as well as trail blaze new funding strategies and channels. This position will be based out of Dimagi’s Dupont office in Washington DC.
What You’ll Do
On any given day, you may be meeting with the leadership of a global development bank one moment and conducting market analysis of private sector funders in the DRC the next. The successful candidate will be flexible and willing to take on various types of tasks, reliable in delivering results as required, and have an extremely keen judgment to determine prioritization.
The prospective hire will be responsible for:
- Selling Dimagi’s profoundly practical and incredibly accessible products – especially our flagship product CommCare – and associated professional services to achieve the targets (that you help set). This requires the ability to understand technology systems, client and program needs, and how the technology can strengthen/amplify program interventions appropriately, adaptively, and responsively.
- Leading proposal development, including team coordination and writing efforts to submit winning applications for competitive proposals and/or bids
- Face to face engagement and negotiations with clients.
Prioritizing tactics for top-tier prospects and current stakeholders that build toward meeting and exceeding Dimagi’s expectations regarding priority areas.
- Further articulating and defining BD strategy, including the expansion and/or opening of funding streams with governmental, multilateral, private foundations, and bilateral European donors such as DFID or JICA.
- Improving business processes, such as capture and tracking of opportunities with both traditional and non-traditional funders in the US and in low and lower-middle-income countries around the world.
- Networking with relevant partners of all shapes and sizes at events.
- Creating budgets, scopes of work and parse legal documents as necessary – the ideal candidate would be equal parts comfortable working with analytical as well as qualitative tasks
- Creating country-level strategies in tandem with key project delivery personnel
- Understanding client requirements, and working with our engineering department to spec out, price out, and ensure viability for the full product.
- Strong familiarity with the field of ICT4D
- Minimum of 6+ years of relevant experience in business development in the international aid sector
- A proven ‘closer’. Demonstrated skills in securing financial resources from bilateral or multilateral project contracts with multi-year commitments.
- Experience in budgeting, proposal development, and strategic analysis
- Strong knowledge of funding mechanisms of large funding agencies
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills (You enjoy working closely with people and explaining the power of technology to those who might not be as technical as you are.)
- Strong intercultural competencies
Able and willing to present to groups ranging from 2 to 3 c-suite decision-makers, to several dozen conference attendees on topics as diverse as public health and agriculture.
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills
- Proven competencies in relationship management, including evidence of conflict resolution abilities
- Ability to learn quickly and develop a comprehensive understanding of mobile technical innovations and their practical application to solve development challenges in an economically-varied context
- Ability to be target-driven while also a team player
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field
- Authorized to work in the US
- Fluency in French or Portuguese
- Knowledge of world bank, other UN systems, and European bilateral donors
- Master’s degree in a relevant field such as computer engineering, global public health, or business administration
- Understanding of digital development technologies such as CommCare, OpenMRS or DHIS2
We aim to make a difference, not just as a company, but as an employer as well. The benefits we offer are geared towards having a strong impact on our staff’s well being. A few of our key benefits are outlined below:
- 100% employer-sponsored medical insurance paired with a generous Health Reimbursement Account (HRA) fund
- Access to voluntary dental and vision insurance plans
- A 401K plan with up to a 4% employer match
- 30 days paid time off inclusive of holidays – take the time off when you want to.
- Unlimited sick time, excellent parental leave policy, and a focus on work-life balance
- Access to a flex-time policy that allows employees to work based on a flexible work schedule
- Access to an Employee Assistance Program (EAP) through Magellan Healthcare
- Occasional opportunities to travel internationally
Dimagi is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate and support diversity and are committed to providing a work environment that is inclusive and free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions are based on individual qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, family or parental status, veteran or disability status.
ESSAY CONTEST 2020 LEADERSHIP AND CRITICAL THINKING How to foster
Janet Murdock has 20 years of experience as an accomplished