Front Line Defenders is inviting applications for a fixed term (6-month) position as Digital Protection Editor. The Digital Protection Editor will review, update and further develop the digital protection toolkit ‘Security in-a-Box’ (https://securityinabox.org), an online resource created to help human rights defenders use digital tools minimising associated risks.
Front Line Defenders is an international organization based in Ireland working for the protection of human rights defenders at risk around the world. Front Line Defenders provides practical support through security grants, physical and digital protection support and training, advocacy and campaigning.
Front Line Defenders is expanding its capacity to support Human Rights Defenders (HRDs) in managing risks associated with the protection of digital information and communications. A key part of its plans is to further develop and re-launch Security in-a-Box, a digital security guide originally developed by Front Line Defenders and Tactical Technology Collective, along with a global network of activists, trainers and digital security experts, to meet the specific digital security needs of activists and human rights defenders. Subject to funding and successful completion of the project, Front Line Defenders hopes to be able to make the post a full time staff position to strengthen its capacity for digital protection research.
The Digital Protection Editor will:
- update Security in-a-Box existing ‘tactics’ and ‘tools’ guides;
- research and create new digital protection guides to respond to the most recent protection needs of human rights defenders;
- coordinate translation of the guides;
- technically manage content production and coordinate publication and dissemination of the guides;
- support research on digital protection trends and risks faced by human rights defenders around the world.
Candidates are required to demonstrate:
- good, practical and current knowledge of digital information security and information and communication technology across a variety of operating systems;
- excellent communication skills in English; clear, concise writing and editing skills and experience;
- experience of undertaking technical research;
- capacity to work on own initiative and as a member of a team in a multicultural environment, being flexible and cooperative.
It would be an advantage if candidates demonstrate:
- working knowledge and experience of other security fields (like physical, well-being/psychosocial, etc.);
- interest and knowledge of international affairs and human rights issues and sensitivity towards the situation of human rights defenders;
- previous work experience with human rights defenders and human rights organisations;
- knowledge of another languages, preferably French, Spanish, Russian or Arabic;
This fixed- term position has a duration of six months, preferably on a 100% basis. Salary will be equivalent to EUR 42,000 gross per year pro rata for full time position. The work can be done remotely or from the Dublin office.
Applications comprising of CV, motivation letter (please cite PCDN as the source of the posting) and examples of published articles (see website for more application details) Deadline for application is 22 May 2020.
Front Line Defenders is an Equal Opportunities Employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
Front Line Defenders Values Statement
Inclusivity: We focus on the primacy and centrality of HRDs, we seek to be inclusive at all times, demonstrating profound respect and empathy for HRDs in all their diversity.
Agility: We strive to meet the needs expressed by human rights defenders in a fast, flexible and relevant manner.
Solidarity: We believe in the importance of solidarity. We commit to being present in a meaningful way when HRDs are most at risk; steadfast and relentless in our actions.
Integrity: We perform with dedication, professionalism and accountability, acting with independence and integrity at all times.