Communications and Marketing Manager
Who we are
Peace First is a global incubator for youth-led social change. We support young people ages 13-25 to lead social change in their communities by providing startup funding, guided training and access to a global community of youth changemakers.
Peace First was founded on a simple idea: if we are going to solve the world’s greatest injustices, we must support this generation of young people with the skills and commitments to solve problems by connecting across lines of difference with compassion, standing up for ideals and others with courage, and creating collaborative change. This is what we call peacemaking.
Currently, there are 1.6 billion young people, ages 13-25, around the world. They care deeply about what’s going on, they have boundless ideas on how to solve injustices and are ready to act yet seldom are they asked by adults what they think or, better yet, supported in bringing their ideas to life. Few have access to tools, mentors, and resources to turn their insights into reality. This is the divide we bridge.
A key element of our strategic plan is to build out our team of talented professionals. We actively recruit, retain and develop a multicultural and dynamic workforce that effectively and efficiently meets the wide spectrum of young people’s needs across the globe. We believe that an inclusive and open environment fosters creativity, contributes to the quality of our work and provides growth opportunities for all employees.
To that end, we are seeking individuals who are excited about fostering this inclusive culture and working in an entrepreneurial environment where there is an immediate opportunity to have a tangible impact on organizational direction and achievement. We are a team based around the world who thrive in an environment that embodies and celebrates the following:
- Possession of a deep belief in the ability of young people to create change and an interest in fundraising in partnership with young leaders
- Ability to adapt and apply skills to new and changing scopes of work
- Eagerness for more responsibility and exposure to new challenges
- Motivation to solve problems by taking initiative and trying new ways of doing things
- Enthusiasm for connecting others to our mission and providing them with powerful experiences
- Openness to working with others across diverse perspectives and backgrounds
This is an exciting opportunity to join a team that is integral to every area of Peace First’s work across six regions. For Peace First, communications is both a function (making sure everyone has the right tools to tell our story) as well as an impact program (changing the narrative of how the world sees young people) and we are looking for someone who is comfortable supporting both. You will support the communication department’s mandate to amplify the impact of our work, engaging a thriving community of super fans, partners, supporters and young people while magnifying the stories and narratives of young changemakers in our network.
What you will do
The Communications and Marketing Manager leads content development to identify, package and share stories of inspiration and impact across multiple channels and to multiple audiences. Because much of this work is enabling others to tell stories they will be an effective coach, editor and connector for a network of Peace First team members, supporters, partners and young people. They will also hold key implementation relationships with media partners, influencers and amplifiers, keeping abreast of emerging trends, managing social media and analytics for activities, handling incoming requests and providing day-to-day support to the Communications Director.
- Create a variety of different content to support communications, marketing and storytelling efforts, including toolkits, social posts, newsletters, video, website copy, decks and internal communications.
- Assist in developing and implementing a storytelling strategy designed to further overall communication objectives.
- Monitor analytics and create reports detailing the successes and failures of communications campaigns and strategies.
- Stay up to date on media trends and make recommendations for adjustments to communications strategies and practices.
- Respond to communications related inquiries and maintain relationships with partners, influencers, media and other members of the press.
- Manage the day-to-day social media channels and communities, building and managing content calendars and scheduling and publishing content.
- Perform outreach to press outlets, magazines, influencers and build strategic partnerships to grow brand awareness.
- Support the day-to-day functions of the Communications Department including but not limited to, project and calendar management, report writing, database, platform and web maintenance and record keeping.
Who you are
- You are aligned with Peace First’s mission and core values of courage, compassion and collaboration.
- You are a strategic and creative thinker and collaborator.
Marketing and Communications (70%)
- You have working knowledge of marketing (traditional and digital) and communications principles and best practices including strategy development, implementation and analytics.
- You are on top of youth culture and current events, have a strong global awareness and are well versed in speaking to diverse audiences while being mindful of cultural sensitivities.
- You are passionate about working with young people. You know where to find them, how to engage them and what types of content they like to see.
- You have excellent verbal and written communication skills, with a meticulous attention to detail – you’re a typo slayer!
- You can work collaboratively with a global team – including a network of young leaders – spanning the regions of North America, Latin America, Europe, Middle East/North Africa, Sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia.
- You have experience using video editing software such as Adobe Premiere Pro
- You have an eye for good design and are comfortable using Canva and Adobe Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign).
- You have experience writing compelling copy for web, social and email marketing collateral.
- You have web management experience or the desire and interest to learn.
- Experienced in using social media listening tools (Brandwatch, Crimson Hexagon, etc) to uncover social insights and platform management tools (Hootsuite, Sprinklr, Meltwater, Sprout Social etc).
Project Management (30%)
- You have the ability to juggle priorities and adapt in a fast paced, changing environment, managing multiple projects at once and adhering to strict deadlines.
- You are a self-starter and have the ability to take initiative, can work without supervision and begin projects independently.
- You are an organization pro who excels in project management and is comfortable using project management applications such as Asana or Trello.
- You are comfortable using the Google Workspace suite of applications (Drive, Calendar, Documents, Slides, Sheets, etc) and are capable of creating visually compelling presentations and collateral.
Considered an asset:
Fluency in Spanish, Hindi or Arabic.
Experience in communicating from a non-US centric perspective with awareness of global social, cultural and political nuances and sensitivities
Experience in working with a small team with limited resources and shifting priorities in a fast paced environment.
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time position. Salary range is $55,000-$60,000 (USD). Peace First also offers a competitive and comprehensive benefits package. For non-US candidates – salary will be adjusted based on local cost of living, purchasing power, and local tax rate will be considered in determining salary and benefits package.
Location is flexible, but must be available during the majority of East Coast US working hours.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Peace First is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religious creed, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, military service, age, ancestry, or disability. For more information, please go to www.peacefirst.org.
We actively recruit, retain, and develop a multicultural and dynamic workforce that effectively and efficiently meets the wide spectrum of young people’s needs across the globe. We believe that an inclusive and open environment fosters creativity, contributes to the quality of our work, and provides growth opportunities for all employees.