CEO, Amani Institute Global Hub
The Amani Institute seeks an exceptional, experienced, self-directed leader with 10-15 years professional experience – including leading teams and growing organizations – and a demonstrated passion for social impact. The CEO of the Amani Institute Global Hub will build on the organization’s momentum and global impact to date, while leading a bold new 7-year strategic plan. We invite you to apply to join us and lead the organization into this exciting new future.
About Amani Institute
Amani Institute is a global organization whose mission is developing professionals who create social impact with their careers. We create this impact via innovative models of higher education that help individuals acquire the practical skills, personal growth, and global networks to take on modern day social challenges.
Our core methodology comes to life in our award-winning Certificate in Social Innovation Management, which runs in Kenya, Brazil, and India. As of 2019, this program has enrolled 546 Fellows from 65 countries. This program won the Ashoka U – Cordes award for Innovation in Higher Education in 2017 and has been featured in Fast Company, Forbes, the Stanford Social Innovation Review, CNBC Africa, and Vanity Fair, among others.
In 2017, Amani Institute launched a leadership program for Small and Growing Business (SGBs) managers in Kenya, called Leadership for Growth. As of 2019, over 150 managers from 57 companies had enrolled in the program; these companies grew revenue by 20% on average and cumulatively raised several million dollars of investment after participating. In 2019, this program won the Argidius-ANDE Talent Challenge, a 1 million Euro grant to scale the program from Nairobi to East Africa, India and Brazil to train 1000+ managers from 150 companies by 2023.
In response to the varying development needs of organizations, Amani Institute also works with institutions across the globe to develop tailored interventions. We have worked on 160+ custom-designed leadership and management programs in 5 continents across the world for 100+ organizations including UNICEF, Ashoka, Vodafone, Deloitte, Georgetown University, University of Chicago, USAID’s Young African Leaders Initiative, Rockefeller Foundation, CARE, and Oxfam.
We currently train over 1000 changemakers each year through our varied mix of both global and local programs (such as our Formação em Impacto Social program in Brazil), and bring thousands more to our events on 21st century careers, the future of work, and social innovation.
Amani Institute was founded in 2011 by Roshan Paul and Ilaina Rabbat, from India and Argentina respectively, who have a combined 35+ years experience in working in the social impact sector globally. Today, Amani Institute primarily operates from Nairobi (Kenya), São Paulo (Brazil) and Bengaluru (India), with a staff of 20 people with deep prior experience in the business, education, media, and social sectors. In addition, we are supported by a faculty roster of over 50 global leaders at the top of their industries, including a Nobel Peace co-laureate.
Our work is systemic and catalytic in that by building much-needed capacity in organizations leading social impact, we enable more effective operations across the field of social change globally.
About the Position
There are an increasing number of people across the world seeking to build meaningful careers and lives, but lacking the skills, networks, and experiences to do so. After 8 years of training and activating over 10,000 people to build careers with purpose, Amani Institute is on the cusp of a new era of greater scale and impact.
The core purpose of this role is to provide leadership and direction, with an entrepreneurial vision, to take the organization into a new phase of impact and growth. As CEO, you will be responsible for leading the scaling strategy, as well as financial and brand management across a distributed global organization. You will report to the Global Board of Directors, lead the Global Hub team (4-6 members), and coordinate the Licensee Executive Council, to implement the responsibilities below.
Overall Strategic Leadership
- Co-develop and lead the long-term strategic plan to achieve the organization’s mission in line with the larger vision
- Lead the process of developing and executing new programs and other offers to ensure continual innovation and relevance to the needs of our audiences
- Create, manage and achieve the annual budget of the Global Hub
- Demonstrate fidelity to the organization’s culture in words and deeds
- Coordinate the activities of the Executive Council and liaise between the Executive Council and the Board of Directors
- Collaborate with the Chair of the Board to plan Board meetings as needed to manage the overall organization
- Lead the distributed Global Hub team to both achieve impact at a global level as well as support the individual country licensees as needed. Monitor overall program performance, impact measurement, and branding and communications efforts led by other members of the Global Hub team
- Ensure that both the Global Hub and the licensees remain compliant with their responsibilities as stated in the license agreement
- Ensure the organization remains legally and financially compliant with regard to its registration in the USA
- Increase impact by growing the number of Amani Institute licenses around the world in accordance with the long-term strategic plan, including:
- Deciding which new licenses to open through feasibility research and seeking new growth opportunities
- Recruiting new license holders and formalize the partnership
- Monitoring initial performance of the licensee and conducting/overseeing the training of the license holder as needed
- Representing new licensees on the Executive Council in their initial phases of operation
- Attracting and managing the resources necessary for the expansion to be achieved
Partnership Building and Fundraising:
- Develop new partnerships for Custom-Training Programs
- Lead fundraising efforts as necessary to achieve the budget
- Build and maintain partnerships with current and future stakeholders, such as Amani Fellows, clients (NGOs, foundations, and universities), and other network partners
- Promote and represent the organization internationally at conferences and events.
- Demonstrated passion for making social impact, at both local and global levels
- Evidence of being a doer – strong work ethic and self-accountability, and high emphasis on excellence
- Strong interpersonal communication skills, with a high degree of empathy
- Comfortable driving results in a fast-changing environment
- Ability to pay close attention to the details that make the difference between doing a good job and doing a great one
- Belief in the importance of lifelong learning and continuous development of self and team members
- Resonance with the core values of Amani Institute
- 10-15 years professional experience
- 5-10 years of strategic leadership and management experience, ideally in international organizations
- Demonstrated ability to harness networks for collaboration and resource mobilization, through building and maintaining positive relationships with external stakeholders and partners
- Strong background in business development and/or fundraising
- Effective at managing, communicating and collaborating virtually across globally distributed teams
- Experience managing teams and organizations through a growth process
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English
- Experience with financial management of global programs and/or organizations
- Undergraduate degree in any field
Additionally, we will look favorably upon candidates who can demonstrate the following:
- Experience working in organizations functioning through a license or franchise model
- Familiarity with the social impact sector
- Undergraduate or master’s level training in international development, social entrepreneurship or business
- Written and oral communication skills in other languages (preferably: Portuguese, Spanish, or French)
- Clear sense of a personal mission for one’s career and life
You would be a good fit with our organizational culture if:
- You have a passion for helping individuals achieve their full potential
- You proactively initiate action when you see a problem, regardless of whether it is “your responsibility” or not
- You are curious and enthusiastic to keep learning new skills throughout your life
- You love working with people from very different backgrounds, as that can lead to new ideas, fun experiences, and opportunities for growth
- You are comfortable bringing your whole self to work
- Location: This position could be based anywhere in the world, but frequent international travel will be required
- Duration: This is a full-time position, with a minimum expectation of 3 years with the initial contract
- Preferred Start Date: As soon as possible
- Compensation: Commensurate with skills and experience for a social enterprise/non-profit organization
Please cite PCDN as the source of the posting in your application.
Application deadline: September 28, 2020
Applications will be evaluated on a rolling basis so please send your application as soon as possible!
Published 21. Sep 2020 crossposted from NRC Global Coronavirus More
Frustrated by the field experience requirement? Curious how to get
Published: 9th September 2020 Crossposted from Oxfam Learn more United