Program Associate: PeaceCon 2020
The Alliance for Peacebuilding (AfP) is a nonpartisan network of 120+ organizations working in 153 countries to end conflict, reduce violence, and build sustainable peace. Our members include some of the world’s largest development organizations, most innovative academic institutions, and most influential humanitarian and faith-based groups. We build coalitions in key areas of strategy and policy to elevate the entire peacebuilding field, tackling issues too large for any one organization to address alone.
AfP is seeking a highly motivated individual as a Program Associate to provide logistical support for PeaceCon 2020, AfP’s Annual Conference. Given the restrictions placed on large group gatherings and international travel due to the COVID-19 pandemic, this year’s conference will be held completely online. This is a wonderful opportunity to learn about the peacebuilding field from the inside, with broad exposure to a wide variety of civil society organizations and representatives from fields closely related to peacebuilding. The Program Associate reports directly to the Membership and Operations Manager, and will work on the following tasks:
• Preparing and coordinating speaker bios, program, and the online conference platform
• Maintaining the conference pages on the AfP website
• Managing event ticketing, registrations, and troubleshooting registration/payment issues
• Coordinating logistics with special guests, speakers and sponsors
• Drafting social media posts, emails, and other communication items to promote PeaceCon and support engagement with participants.
The position is temporary, part-time (20 hours per week) and will be based remotely. AfP expects this position to begin in September and be filled until mid-December 2020. This position has an hourly rate of $15, payable according to AfP’s bi-monthly payroll schedule, with standard deductions.
• Education background and interest in peacebuilding, international affairs, or conflict studies
• Ability to commit to working from September until mid-December 2020
• Minimum of one year of professional office experience, ideally in a non-profit setting (internships, part-time experience, and volunteer work qualify), preferred
• Excellent communication skills both in writing and verbal presentation
• Must be detail-oriented, with excellent organizational, customer service and problem-solving skills; should be proactive, motivated and team-oriented
• Must be flexible, able to multi-task and thrive in a busy environment to meet deadlines
• Proficiency with software, data entry, Word, Excel required and Square Space preferred
• Large event planning experience a plus
Please send a cover letter (citing PCDN as the source of the posting), resume and list of three references to email@example.com, ATTN: Stephanie Budaker: Membership and Operations Manager. Each attachment should be labeled “Last name, First name – [Document type].” Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and the position will be filled as soon as a well-qualified person is identified.
As peacebuilders committed to social justice, we believe that drivers of violent conflict disproportionately hurt the most marginalized people in society — including people of color, people from lower income backgrounds, women and LGBTQ people. We believe that these communities must be centered in the work we do. Hence, we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other marginalized communities.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
Alliance for Peacebuilding (AfP) is an EEO Employer
As an equal opportunity employer, AfP recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, color, age, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, HIV/AIDS status, political affiliations or belief, pregnancy, or any other characteristic protected by law. Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance. We welcome the opportunity to discuss accommodation of your disability and ensure fairness in our hiring process.
Only those applicants who meet required qualifications will be considered. Those selected for further discussions will be contacted. Interviews will be scheduled by appointment only; no phone calls please.
Register now for the 2020 Virtual SID-Washington Conference. October 7-8, 2020
Published 21. Sep 2020 crossposted from NRC Global Coronavirus More
Frustrated by the field experience requirement? Curious how to get