Senior Manager, Global Human Rights Initiative
The Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice is the only philanthropic organization working exclusively to advance LGBTQI human rights around the globe. We support brilliant and brave grantee partners in the U.S. and internationally who challenge oppression and seed change. We work for racial, economic, social, and gender justice because we all deserve to live our lives freely, without fear, and with dignity.
The first grant maker to hundreds of organizations, Astraea plays a catalytic role for LGBTQI groups around the world – particularly those led by lesbian and queer women, trans and gender non-conforming folks, intersex people, and people of color. Our grantmaking, capacity building, media and communications, and philanthropic advocacy programs support their work to challenge oppression and claim rights. A proud public foundation and one of the first women’s funds in the world, in our 42-year history we have granted over $40 million to LGBTQI activists and artists.
Astraea seeks a committed, collaborative and talented person to manage the implementation of a new multi-million-dollar five-year partnership to support LGBTI activists and organizations in their advocacy efforts against violence, discrimination, stigma and criminalization: the Multi-Donor LGBTI Global Human Rights Initiative (GHRI). Supported by multiple governments and resource partners, the GHRI will provide critical resources to LGBTI organizations in focus countries across Africa, Asia, Central Asia & Eastern Europe, and Latin America & the Caribbean to make impact at the country level; the GHRI also contributes to regional and global impacts via its innovative grantmaking, research, communications and accompaniment strategies. This exciting new initiative exemplifies Astraea’s role as a public foundation and women’s fund to channel resources to the frontline of LGBTI movements globally. This role will also work to ensure that the implementation of this project is aligned and enhances Astraea’s core strategies, guided by Astraea’s mission, vision, and values.
The GHRI Senior Manager will manage the implementation of the GHRI, including programmatic components, reporting and compliance. The GHRI Senior Manager reports to the Director of the LGBTI Global Human Rights Initiative. People of color, lesbian, bisexual and queer women, trans and gender non-conforming people, intersex people, and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Manage the design and implementation of the GHRI’s programmatic components, including project managing the work plan and ensuring alignment across Astraea’s programs and funding sources. Programmatic components include:
- Research: Oversee the publication of research products, in collaboration with Communications and Programs teams.
- Emergency Response: Oversee the strategy development and design process for emergency response grantmaking mechanisms.
- Communications: Coordinate with the Strategic Communications Program Manager to ensure we are on track with GHRI deliverables.
- In-Country Programming: Coordinate with Program Officers to ensure we are on track with GHRI deliverables.
- Manage relationships with GHRI sub-awardees, including oversight of work plans and reporting
- Prepare quarterly and annual reports to government donors to the GHRI, including coordination with Fiscal team on financial reporting and with resource partners on leverage reporting
- Ensure that Astraea complies with the requirements and policies of government donors to the GHRI, in partnership with the Fiscal team
- Lead internal efforts to coordinate the GHRI’s work with related institutional funding streams at Astraea, ensuring strategic, programmatic and operational alignment
- Minimum 7-10 years of programmatic experience in LGBTQI rights, women’s rights or international human rights fields
- Prior and substantial experience managing bilateral funding, with a strong preference for experience with U.S. government funding and compliance requirements
- Strong organizational and project management skills; adept at coordinating multiple initiatives
- Solutions-oriented with excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills to manage a wide variety of internal and external relationships
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Knowledge of issues facing LGBTQI organizations and movements
- Passionate about Astraea’s mission as a public foundation and role as a women’s fund
- Commitment to racial, economic and gender justice
The salary range for this position is between $95,000 – $104,000.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send resume/CV and cover letter (please cite PCDN as the source of the posting) to email@example.com in .pdf, doc, or .docx format or submit via the form on our website by December 18, 2019. Please include ‘Senior Manager, GHRI’ in the email subject line.
No phone calls, please – only applicants being considered for interviews will be contacted. We are only able to consider applicants who are eligible to work in the U.S. at this time.
Astraea is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse (multi-gender, cross-class and multi-racial), collaborative and sustainable work environment.
At PCDN we were planning on launching a group career
When I attend professional events and am about to be